A little while ago, I completed the very last piece of Uranus by adding her glasses. Now, as I’m finishing up Neptune, it only seemed fair that she should have her sunglasses, too. It took me three tries to get it right. The first pair, an all felt version, just didn’t look right. On her head, it just looked like a big, dumb bow. Upon Craig’s suggestion, I used a shiny silk for the lenses of the glasses. That was closer. But, stupidly, I used the same shiny fabric I use for her hair, so that didn’t look right either. So off to the fabric store!! …where I found a darker, yet still shiny color. Voila! Now I just have to make her surfboard and she is done!!
Even though I did the revisions for aesthetic reasons, having to do it 3 times was great practice for me and GLUE! I don’t usually like to use glue, but stitching wasn’t really an option. Check out my progress:
Shades #1– used craft glue. What a mess. Even my tackiest tacky glue wouldn’t hold, so I had to clip it shut until it dried, making awful indents all over the place. Plus, look at all the gross leftover bits. Couldn’t even shave it off with sciccors!!
Shades #2– resurrected my old friend the GLUE GUN!!! Glue gun glue dries almost INSTANTLY, which can be a pain if you place anything wrong. Still had a lot of messy left overs tho.
Shades #3– Got the hang of the Glue Gun, and the edges are practically clean!!! I think I’ll be using glue guns more often in the future.
Neptune’s 90% complete– stay tuned!!
Over and out,