Introducing: NEPTUNE!!! Who I think is the most thoroughly accessorized rag doll yet! Making Neptune further solidified my belief that 3 is the magic number. I had to do her glasses 3 times and her surfboard 3 times to get them right. At least I only had to do the pants twice.
In case you’re curious, the delay on Neptune was due to her surfboard. I was waiting for some special ordered fabric you can actually PRINT ON WITH YOUR INK JET!!! As exciting as that sounds, it was less than perfect. It wasn’t bad, mind you, the colors just weren’t as vibrant as I would have liked. It would have been fine, but once you held it up to the doll, it just looked drab. So, I went back to hand-stenciling, which was a lot more work, but looked a lot nicer.
Here’s a closer look. I used a really, really thick fusible interfacing to keep it stiff but stuffed in some quilt batting to keep it huggable. The batting helped achieve the quilted look I was going for on the surface. You can just barely see the tip of the little fin poking out there on the bottom.
Still working on Mercury. Stay tuned!
Over and out,